Friday, October 9, 2009

Fleuri


We chose Fleuri because if you are a vegetarian in Vancouver who wants fine dining, you generally have one option: heirloom tomatoes and gnocchi. Last year it was mixed greens and risotto. These things go in waves. Anyway, Fleuri offered two vegetarian options for both starter and entree.

Our somewhat mousy server hobbled toward us. We inquired after specifics, and got half-hearted responses that made the asparagus sound bland and unappetizing. So we ordered the goat cheese tart. With yellow vine tomato and riccolo and sorrel salad. Sigh. I don't get very excited by pasta, so rather than the taglierini, I ordered the "vegetarian trilogy" for entree. A trilogy of vegetarian dishes: gnocchi, risotto and ravioli. Triple sigh.

After being thoroughly confused by our order, Hobbly went away and returned with a mispronounced amuse-bouche, which I enjoyed -- a boursin croquette. Hubby and I regaled the parents with stories of our young urban friends. Appetizers came out.

The tart was pretty good. I love pastry, and this was well done. I love cheese, and this was a very good cheese. I like mixed greens, and they were green and had an unobjectionable dressing. The parents regaled us with stories of their small-town friends.

Hobbly hobbled back, carrying far too many plates on one hand, and very nearly dropped them. I like a bit of drama every now and again. Then I dug into my trilogy.

It was terrible. Overcooked gnocchi (although with a nice spicy tomato fondue), undercooked cheese ravioli, and bland risotto. I salted. Liberally. Three times. The parents exclaimed over their delicious meat, then conversation turned to weightier matters: who wasn't speaking to whom among the relatives.

For dessert we had a fairly boring menu, or the option of having a run at the chocolate buffet, which we all chose. The chocolate buffet was very good, and I truly wish I'd chosen that for entree as well. Hubby asked about the hobble, and it turned out she had pulled some tendons. She then took my cutlery, leaving me to look longingly at the chocolate buffet rather than have another pass. If I'd known I was only going to get one shot at it, I would have employed a different strategy altogether -- usually my first time I take a small sample from everything, leaving the serious business for round two.

I wouldn't go again. The dessert was fine and the appetizer was delicious, but when I'm eating out, I want all the courses to be excellent. Especially at those prices -- good thing dad paid.

Summary:
Food: Not good
Service: Accidentally entertaining
Price: Ridiculous (although free for us)

No comments:

Post a Comment